Get your test today
Results for an avuncular test are ready in 5-7 working days from the moment we receive samples. We suggest you return samples by courier directly to the laboratory because the local postal system has proved unreliable and we cannot be responsible for samples that do not reach us.
We normally send results by email but you can receive a hard copy for an additional fee. Hard copy results will be received a few days after your results are emailed.
- The lab cannot perform this test if the aunt / uncle is NOT a full sibling to the alleged father in question.
- We strongly suggest including the sample of a known parent to provide stronger results.
Your aunt/uncle test results
If paternity is what you need to establish but you cannot carry out a paternity test (due to the alleged father’s sample being unavailable), then an avuncular test is a good testing alternative. But unlike paternity testing results which either show a 99.99% probability of paternity or a 0% probability, avuncular tests provide different results. Aunt/Uncle DNA testing shows a probability or statistical likelihood of relationship between the people tested. The higher the probability the more likely that the people tested are biological relatives. A relationship index will also be issued. This index will make it possible to determine whether a biological relationship exists.
- If the index is less than 1.00 then the tested parties are likely unrelated
- If the index is more than 1.00 then the tested parties are likely related
To ensure more accurate results, adding the DNA sample of the mother is recommended. Contact us for more information about avuncular DNA test results.
*homeDNAdirect can test additional people but the cost will in such cases increase. Price cited on this page is for tests carried out using oral swab saliva samples.
Clients wishing to carry out an avuncular test in a private manner can view our section on forensic DNA testing; here we offer a variety of samples that can be tested (for example hairs or gum), the price for each as well as the success rate: click to read more.
If testing involves only males
If only males are taking part in the test we can offer a more suitable DNA testing option: a Y chromosome test. This test is ideal to accurately confirm whether two or more males share the same paternal line. The test results will show the Y Chromosome Short Tandem Repeat Profile of the tested individuals. If they share the same Y chromosome STR profiles then they definitely share the same paternal line.